Friday, December 16, 2011

HOLIDAY TREATS

There's nothing worst than giving a gift card for the holidays. How impersonal and easy? I use to dislike giving gifts that were to be consumed. Sure it would make for happy bellies but I felt the gift-receiver wouldn't get to enjoy their gift in the long-run. Except this year, I've decided to take the time to make some homemade goodness for friends & family with my bare hands. For those who know me, I'm not much of a cook, even less of a baker! And with that statement, it shows just how much I wanted to make something people felt I've put time into. Why? Because I love and appreciate them (the main ingredient being love. How cheesy?). Isn't that what the holidays are all about?

With the help of my lovely mother, I've made...












These were a major hit. Again, I'm not a wiz in the kitchen so any positive feedback made my day especially coming from such easy recipes. Whatever I'd made were eaten within that day. I've presented each of my 12 coworkers with their own individual box filled with an assortment of these. As for the families I've presented this to, I found festive tin boxes at the dollar store which were perfect and easy way to decorate.

Perhaps I'll post a little later all of the recipes (I know it's not a cooking blog) but I'll leave you with my cream fudge recipe which is very quick & easy to do.

CREAM FUDGE
3 cups of brown sugar
2/3 cup of butter
2/3 cup of 15% cream
1 cup of icing sugar
Handful of chopped walnuts (optional)

1/ Butter a pan (the glass ones are best but whatever you have will do) and I guess use good judgement in terms of size.

2/ Mix brown sugar, butter & cream in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Let it boil for about 5 minutes.

3/ Remove mixture from heat. Mix icing sugar and stir with a whip.

4/ Whip until smooth. Add chopped walnuts (if necessary) and mix until walnuts are spread out. Pour into buttered pan.

5/ Let it chill in the fridge. Cut into squares and serve! Or in my case, try and manage to eat the less amount possible. You can cut them and put them in a tissue paper/parchemin paper lined tin box and give as a simple little gift for someone that sweetens your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment