Sunday, October 28, 2012

HALLOWEEN 2012


Happy (early) Halloween, everyone! I hope you all rocked your awesome Halloween costumes and OD'd on delicious bize-size candy. I myself had a blast and enjoyed the heck out of my favourite celebration. Saw some truly original costumes and I was impressed by how many people didn't opt for a store-bought costume. I realize not everyone is crafty but homemade costumes are truly always the best and look tons better than the highly overpriced and cheap polyester gear that's out there. A trip to a thrift store can result with some very interesting ideas.

Last year I had produced two Halloween costumes : Back to the Future's Marty McFly and Pee Wee Herman. Being the busy bee that I am, I was only able to put one together by making two characters into one costume based on an 80's childhood movie favourite (do I sense a Halloween costume pattern here?)

E.T. & Elliott

I've wanted to do this for quite some time and I'm so happy I finally came around to making it. I'm very pleased with the result and I have to admit, it was quite a party hit. 

WHAT I NEEDED
Red Hoodie - Wal-Mart, 15$
Milk Crate - found outside
Bicycle Handles - my own
ET Mask - make it
Push Lamp - Dollarama, 1$
Pillow - thrifted, 2$
Blanket - thrifted, 3$
TOTAL COST - 21 dollars!

The pièce de resistance that would make-or-break this costume was quite evidently the mask that would be ET's face. I had an oval shaped plastic dish from a grocery store veggie platter that was perfect for ET's face structure and base. 



On top, I've papier-mâché'd his facial features by shaping & layering with some good-old newspaper, diluted white glue and masking tape. I've cut in half a styrofoam ball and glued them to create his lovely big blue eyes. A lot of it consisted of waiting for the base to dry (snooze!). The rest was painted with Dollarama acrylic paints. 



I've secured the mask to a pillow and wrapped the blanket around tightly and wedged it inside the milk crate. Under the blanket, I've put a a push lamp covered with red tissue paper to give the illusion of his glowing heart. The hardest part was trying to get the relatively heavy bicycle handle to securely stay put onto the milk crate but I finally managed. A good alternative would have been to recreate bike handles from empty paper towel rolls but I wanted it to be legit!.

The easiest part was putting on the red hoodie and jeans (needless to say I was super comfy) and this completed my look! Overall, I have to say this was my favourite costume. The downside was that walking around without E.T. had people questioning what the heck I was but toting him around was worth the pain. 



Now it's your turn! What did you dress up as and if you've put up a sweat making it, how did you do it? Looking forward to hearing what you've all done. 

4 comments:

  1. One word: AMAZING

    Do you know the family name of Elliot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :D I actually do not know his last name. I checked up on IMDB and Wikipedia to find out but it didn't say. Perhaps watching the movie will confirm if his last name is ever mentioned.

      Delete